Monday, January 18, 2010

When Your Faith Feels Shaky (1)

If you... believe in your heart... you will be saved. Romans 10:9 NIV

A new Christian writes, "I've accepted Jesus as my Saviour. But then I slip, and end up wondering if my faith is strong enough. If I'm really saved why doesn't God talk to me like He talks to other people?" You'd be surprised how many of us walk around harbouring doubts that steal our peace and assurance.

The Bible says: "If you confess with your mouth, 'Jesus is Lord,' and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved" (Romans 10:9 NIV). Are you trusting in Christ? Have you confessed Him as your Saviour? Then you're saved! Jesus said, "He who believes in Me has everlasting life" (John 6:47 NKJV). Doubts always arise when you go by your feelings instead of God's Word. Your emotions will change like the weather. The enemy will use them to tell you that salvation's fine for other people but not for you. Paul said, "I know whom I have believed and am persuaded that He is able to keep what I have committed to Him… (2 Timothy 1:12 NKJV). The One you've committed your eternal well-being to, is committed to saving - and keeping you. Hannah Whitall Smith said, "Faith is the simplest, plainest thing in the world… it's simply believing God."

When your faith feels shaky, pray, "Lord Jesus, I've placed my trust in You. Your Word says I can know I have eternal life (1 John 5:13). It's not a matter of feeling, thinking or wishing; it's a matter of believing and knowing that You keep Your word. So I choose to doubt my doubts, and believe You!"

No comments: