Monday, March 29, 2010

Improving Your Marriage

Love never fails
1 Corinthians 13:8 NKJV

Here are five ideas for putting new life into your marriage. First, renew your commitment. Rough spots are normal in marriage. What else would you expect from two imperfect people? Decide, 'I'm going to win my mate again.' And start with an act of your will, not a feeling in your stomach. Say, 'I'll do what I need to do for the highest good of my mate.' Yes, it's tough when only one partner makes the commitment. But when you do, that gets you on track with the Lord and frees Him up to deal with your mate. Any marriage will work when two people say, 'Lord, tell us what to do.' God can make a difference in your marriage, but it takes work. The feelings will come back, but feelings can't be the determining factor in your decision. Second, start dating again. Nobody likes being taken for granted so adopt the attitude, 'I'm going to keep wooing and winning my mate.' Third, give up something for your mate. It sends the right signal when you say, 'Yes, I know I planned to do that, but I'd rather be with you.' Fourth, pay attention to little things. The little stuff gets forgotten too easily, like paying your wife compliments or buying her a card to say, 'I love you.' Or surprising your husband by wearing his favourite dress and making him a special meal. Finally, accentuate the positive. Anybody can be a critic. If you look hard enough you'll never run out of things that aren't perfect about your mate. Try looking that hard for something good, let them know what you find, and watch what happens!

1 comment:

Don said...

I agree - this type of love, which is, in all likelihood the true definition of love, no, it never fails.

I also agree where the focus on pretty much everything concerning marriage has to remain on the positives, and never the negatives.